Humans are storytellers by nature, so the ability to tell a great story is something we can all learn and develop over time – but where do you start if you want to become a great storyteller, what is the structure of a great story, and how do you practice if you’re not already a public speaker?
What to Listen For
- What does science tell us about why storytelling is so powerful?
- What can you do to be a more compelling storyteller?
- What steps can you follow to tell unforgettable stories?
- What are the 4 basic steps of storytelling and how can you apply them in everyday life to become a great storyteller?
- What simple game can you play with family, friends, or strangers to test and improve your storytelling ability?
- Why are emotions such a crucial aspect of great storytelling and what can you do to incorporate them into your stories?
- What is the Angel’s Cocktail and how does it make for an unforgettable story?
- How should you approach storytelling in a professional setting like a networking event versus a personal setting like hanging out with friends or being on a date?
- How do you tell an engaging story when Powerpoint is involved and what should you avoid doing at all costs?
- What are the key things you should pay attention to in the audience when presenting?
- What are the 5 layers of communication and how does knowledge of them tell you who is trustworthy and who is not?
- What mindset should you adopt to better handle the Q & A after a talk or presentation?
Storytelling is a skill like any other, but that means to become great at it requires you to practice it – how can you become good at anything without adequate repetition? But unlike many other skills, storytelling is something you can practice every single day with anyone you talk to. Just think about something that has happened in your life, large or small, and tell the story of it through the 4 basic steps discussed in this episode.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Resources from this Episode
How to Avoid Death by Powerpoint – TEDx Talk
The Magical Science of Storytelling – TEDx Talk
Check in with AJ and Johnny!